Tennis

Valeria Salazar, Gabriela Knutson ride 6-game doubles winning streak into NCAA tournament

Courtesy of The ACC

Valeria Salazar and Gabriela Knutson have won six games in a row together. They weren't partners to start the year, but they've found their groove together as SU's No. 1 doubles pair.

Valeria Salazar and Gabriela Knutson met up at the baseline, high-fived and settled back into position.

Salazar has just served the ball toward Wake Forest’s Anna Ulyashchenko, whose racket barely made contact with the ball on the return. Ulyashchenko’s hit lobbed in the air toward Knutson, who then took a few steps forward, wound up and spiked the ball.

Knutson and Salazar are slotted at No.1 doubles for Syracuse and are on a six-game winning streak together. Currently ranked No. 27 in the nation, the duo was selected to the NCAA doubles tournament, which runs May 25-30 in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

“I think we play off each other pretty well,” Salazar said. “I set her up, she sets me up. We’re both aggressive, so it makes it easier for us to win points.”

Prior to the doubles tournament, No. 25 Syracuse (14-8, 7-7 Atlantic Coast) will play in the NCAA tournament against No. 46 Georgia State (15-5, 4-0 Sun Belt). Knutson and Salazar will be relied on heavily in singles, but it’s together that they make their largest impact.

Syracuse's Valeria Salazar and Gabriela Knutson high five during round two of the 2016 ACC WomenÕs Tennis Championship in Cary, N.C., Thursday, April 21, 2016. (Photo by Liz Condo, theACC.com)
Courtesy of The ACC

After four games, head coach Younes Limam decided to go in a separate path, and teamed up Salazar and Knutson. On occasion, they had played together in tournaments during the fall, but still had to transition mid-season. Knutson’s first college tournament came at Cornell with Salazar and the pair won.

Since being paired up, Knutson and Salazar have dominated, having lost just three of 15 games.

“I think we have a great balance,” Knutson said. “Like usually in doubles, one person is dominant and one person does what the other wants. We’re on the same (talent) level and really respect each other as players.”

Their similar playing style makes them compatible partners, Salazar said. Setting up Knutson is not difficult when the two are on the court, she added. Since both rely on powering through their opponent, they use backhands and serves as an advantage to poach the ball and earn the point.

If one notices the other is getting frustrated after a point, the two will talk it out as they walk around the baseline.

As Syracuse gears up for Georgia State, earning the first point could drive the momentum towards SU. Salazar and Knutson winning at No. 1 doubles will be the first step towards SU’s first ever NCAA tournament win in program history.

“With V it always felt right,” Knutson said. “We played a little bit last semester and already had a ranking. She makes me a better player and really helps getting me motivated.”