Softball

Sydney O’Hara blasts NCAA-record 4 home runs; Syracuse splits doubleheader at North Carolina State

Courtesy of Syracuse Athletics

O’Hara is the only player in the NCAA this season with four home runs, tying an NCAA record.

Sydney O’Hara’s four home runs led Syracuse (13-7, 1-1 Atlantic Coast) to an 11-5 win over North Carolina State (7-16, 1-1) in the second game of a doubleheader Friday afternoon in Raleigh. SU lost the first game, 3-0.

O’Hara, out of the three-hole, blasted four home runs for eight RBIs, accounting for more than two-thirds of Syracuse runs. O’Hara is the first player in Syracuse history with four home runs in a single game, bumping her season total to five and her RBI total to 24.

O’Hara is the only player in the NCAA this season with four home runs, tying an NCAA record. The four hits push O’Hara into first place on the team with a batting average of .484 and second in the ACC in home runs (five).

N.C. State shut out the Orange in game one of the doubleheader. Alexa Romero took her third loss of the season, giving up two home runs to the Wolfpack. Syracuse managed only five hits in this game. Peyton Silverman struck out three in the complete game shutout.

SU continues its first series of ACC play on Saturday afternoon against N.C. State. First pitch is slated for 2 p.m.