ON CAMPUS

Traffic to be cut to 1 lane on South Crouse Avenue through spring 2019

Calvin Wineland | Staff Photographer

The National Veterans Resource Complex construction site as it appeared in fall 2017.

Traffic on South Crouse Avenue between Waverly Avenue and Marshall Street will be cut to one lane until spring 2019, a Syracuse University official said in a campus-wide email Thursday.

The temporary traffic change comes as construction crews work to finish the National Veterans Resource Complex, which is being built near South Crouse Avenue between Marshall Street and the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications.

Several sidewalks and pathways near the NVRC construction site on South Crouse Avenue may be closed while construction on the building’s foundation continues, said Pete Sala, SU’s vice president and chief facilities officer, in the Thursday email.

Sala also said that steel for the NVRC building will arrive later in the fall.

Residence hall improvements

Landscaping and “final touches” on the Brewster/Brockway/Boland Complex plaza will be completed early in the fall semester, per the email, as work was delayed by rain during the summer. Crews will finish building an accessible ramp to the Brockway Dining Hall by the beginning of the semester, and a full renovation of the kitchen and dining room will be finished by the end of this week.

New flooring, wardrobes, doors and IT infrastructure were installed in 161 student rooms in Day Hall. Other renovations also included the creation of accessible, single-user bathrooms and showers.

Lyons Hall received new wardrobes and upgraded finishes to rooms, as well as new lounge furniture.

Academic building renovations

Five rooms in the west side of the Hall of Languages received upgraded finishes, new HVAC systems and new audio-visual technology. Seven classrooms will receive technology updates to meet SU’s learning technology design standards.

Masonry, brick and limestone work on Maxwell Hall will continue into September 2018. Crouse College repairs will be complete by mid-August.

Construction began on a first-floor, single-user accessible bathroom in the Physics Building, and there are currently plans for another accessible bathroom in the subbasement.

Installation of a new HVAC system to cool Hendricks Chapel will continue throughout the academic year — that project is expected to be completed in May 2019.

The Sibley Pool in the Women’s Building will be open by the first day of classes, after the installation of a new ADA lift and starting blocks.

Other construction and utility upgrades

Sims Drive will be open for traffic as construction of the south end of Archbold Gymnasium continues. Utility projects around the Carrier Dome, Hillside Lot and University Avenue will be complete by the start of the semester.

New sidewalks and accessible ramps will be installed around Walnut Park by the end of August.