Here are the news stories you missed during the weekend

Since late September, a dozen people under 21 years old have been shot or stabbed in the area.

These are the biggest stories from around the Syracuse area this weekend, from the latest in a spike in violent crime in the city to a virus found in multiple children that could cause a polio-like disease.

39 children in New York have a virus that could cause polio-like illness

The New York State Department of Health said the EV-D68 virus only rarely leads to the polio-like disease and typically causes a runny nose and body aches, per the Associated Press.

Authorities said there hasn’t been a confirmed case of the polio-like illness called acute flaccid myelitis in New York state, the AP reported Friday. There is, however, a suspected case involving a 3-year-old in Buffalo.

There have been 38 confirmed cases of AFM this year in 16 states, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

GOP candidate for New York governor says limo companies need more government oversight

Marc Molinaro, a Republican candidate for NY governor, weighed into the Schoharie limousine crash on Friday to say limousine companies need more government oversight, WRVO reported.

The driver of the limousine that killed 20 people didn’t have the proper license, and the vehicle had failed inspections multiple times.

“The lesson we can learn, I hope, is that the oversight we intend to have needs to be effectively applied,” said Molinaro, per WRVO.

Ben Walsh calls for community’s help in overnight shooting cases

Syracuse Mayor Ben Walsh called for the community’s help Saturday in identifying the person behind two shootings that occurred the night before, Syracuse.com reported.

“We appeal to the public because it is the biggest force multiplier we have,” Walsh said during the press conference, per Syracuse.com.

A 20-year-old was shot around 10 p.m. on Ash Street and sustained non-life-threatening injuries Friday night, while a 14-year-old was shot in the “upper chest” on Sterling Avenue later that night and is in critical condition, according to police.

Since a Sept. 20 shooting, a dozen people younger than 21 have been shot or stabbed, and three have died in what appears to be a spike in violent crime in the area, Syracuse.com reported.

Armed man barricaded in Baldwinsville home faces off with police

A suicidal armed man barricaded himself in his Baldwinsville home Saturday night, according to police and reported by Syracuse.com, in a standoff that provoked a large police response and a shutdown of the surrounding area.

Police blocked off West Genesee Street between Oswego and North streets, per Syracuse.com, and negotiated with the man for 23 hours. A police loudspeaker could be heard telling the man to come out of his home and leave the dog inside, according to Syracuse.com.

The man emerged from his home around 4 p.m. and was arrested by police.